Home | Scree | Back Issues

This is the EScree - the Electronic version of the Scree newsletter from
the Peak Climbing Section of the Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club.
It should be viewed or printed with a fixed-pitch font such as Courier.
     This publication may not be posted on any public news group.
                  February, 2000	Vol. 34 No. 2
     Deadline for submissions to the next Scree is Sunday 2/27/2000

This issue of Scree will be on the Official PCS Website at

Next general meeting (PCS meetings are the second tuesday of each month)

Date:	Tuesday, February 8
Time:	8:00 PM
Program:	Double Feature: Spring Skiing and Fall Canyon 
		Hiking - The Sierra High Route and Cherry Creek Canyon

Some people feel that spring is the best time of the year in the 
Sierra - the look of winter but with typically sunny weather.  See 
this myth dispelled on a 6-day ski traverse of the heart of the Sierra.

A hidden jewel of the Sierra is revealed as the second feature 
documents a PCS team's recent non-epic non-first descent of the 
nonetheless beautiful Cherry Creek Canyon, carved eons ago by 
glaciers from the Yosemite granite.

Directions:	REI - San Carlos (650) 508-2330
		1119 Industrial Rd. Suite 1-B San Carlos, CA 94070

From 101 South: Holly/Brittan exit, follow Brittan Ave signs

From 101 North: Whipple exit, go left over freeway to 
		Industrial Road, go right on Industrial to Brittan Ave.

Advance Trip Planning Meeting 

Date:	Thursday, February 10, 2000
Time:	8:00 PM
Place:	Home of Arun Mahajan, arun@tollbridgetech.com
Contact:	Dee Booth, deebooth@cisco.com

Requests for backcountry permits for the Inyo National Forest will begin being 
accepted on March 1.  They can be mailed or faxed and will be handled on a 
first-come-first-served basis.  Trips for the entire summer should be planned 
now so please come to this meeting and bring your ideas for official and 
unofficial trips.  Arun has kindly offered to host this meeting at his home.

Directions From 101:

  1. Take the Oregon Expressway exit in Palo Alto.

  2. Go west, through a few lights. After Bryant is the Alma exit. It is a sharp 
  right. If you miss it, you will know because you go under an overpass.

  3. After taking the exit, follow the exit road till it meets Alma.

  4. Go north (right turn) on Alma for a few blocks passing roads like California, 
  Santa Rita, Rinconada, Seale. These roads are on the right. The CalTrain tracks 
  are on the left of Alma.

  5. After Seale is Tennyson. My townhouse is in a 4-plex, 1745 Alma, the second 
  unit from the road. It is north of Tennyson but south of the next road, Lowell. 
  Off street parking on Tennyson or Lowell, there is none in the complex for 
  guests, I am afraid.

Directions From 280:

  1. Take the Page Mill Road exit in Palo Alto.

  2. Drive east on Page Mill, go through El Camino

  3. Alma (north) is a sharp right turn within half a mile of the El Camino junction.

  4. Follow the directions mentioned in 4 above.

-- Rick Booth

Wilderness First Aid

To help trip leaders and would-be leaders get the required First 
Aid certificate, the Chapter sponsors a First Aid class each 
quarter, based on a nationally recognized first aid text, but with 
added material and emphasis on wilderness situations with no 
phone to dial 911. The next First Aid classes will be Saturday, 
February 26 and Sunday, February 27 at the Peninsula 
Conservation Center in Palo Alto (from Bayshore/Hwy. 101 at 
San Antonio, turn toward the Bay; turn left at 1st stoplight, then 
right at Corporation Way to park behind PCC). Class is 8:30 a.m. 
to 5:30 p.m. (1 hour for your bag lunch) and is limited to 12 
people. To sign up, send choice of day, and a check for $40 with a 
stamped, self-addressed business-sized envelope to: Health 
Education Services, 200 Waverly, Menlo Park, CA 94025. 
Cancellations get partial refund if a substitute attends (you get to 
keep the Wilderness First Aid book). For more information, call 

-- Marg Ottenberg

How to Run a Mountaineering Trip in the Sierra Club

The Sierra Club allows trips requiring the use of ice axe, 
crampons, ropes, or other "Mountaineering Gear". While all 
other trips are approved by the PCS Scheduler alone, 
Mountaineering trips (also known as "Restricted Trips") require 
in addition the approval of the MOC (Mountaineering Oversight 
Committee). The PCS ran several successful mountaineering 
trips last year, and I expect there will be much interest in those 
trips this season. The process does require a bit more planning 
and time, but it beats not having the gear when you need it - or 
having to cancel a trip because the conditions have changed. In 
addition, Restricted Trips leaders are covered by the Club's 
liability insurance, as well as being provided with an accidental 
death/medical policy (as described at the bottom of the 

As a member of the MOC I like to make the process of applying 
and getting approval for Restricted Trip more accessible to PCS 
leaders. Following is a write-up describing, in general, the 
process. There is a reference to resources such as the actual MOC 
procedures and forms at the end of this article.


Mountaineering trips need to be approved by both the PCS and 
the MOC. So the trips have to qualify under both systems.

The PCS requires that a leader first be approved by the PCS's 
Mountaineering Committee to lead trips at the required level (see 
below). Then the leader can apply to the PCS Scheduler and 
propose the trip. The PCS Scheduler approves or rejects the trip 
based on the leader's rating. This is no different than leading 
non-restricted trips under the PCS and the Sierra Club.

The MOC requires that each trip be led by a leader and an 
assistant leader. Both leaders have to be qualified to lead the trip, 
but the assistant leader does not have to be as experienced as the 
leader. The assistant leader must be qualified to take over leading 
the trip and handle emergencies (see resources below). There are 
a few restrictions such as not climbing vertical ice, but who on 
earth wants to climb that? Also, both leaders and all participants 
must be Sierra Club members.


It is wise to contact the PCS Scheduler about the proposed trip 
before filling out the MOC application form (below).

Fill out the form and include the climbing resume for each leader. 
Mail the papers to the PCS Scheduler who, after approval, will 
send them to the MOC. It generally takes about two weeks to get 
MOC approval. One should refrain from advertising a trip until it 
has been approved, so plan ahead. The MOC now also excepts 
applications in word format on email. You may use this option 
and save some trees.

During and after-trip paper work:

The trip is not done without the paper work.

Before the trip, each leader/participant is required to sign the 
release of liability form and the sign-in sheet (below). After the 
trip the leader is required to promptly send the waivers and sheet 
to the SC Outing Department.


The full text of MOC policies and procedures appears on the 
Sierra Club Leader's web site
different forms are also available from there. Access to the web 
site is available to all Sierra Club leaders. Contact me if you need 
the password. I have Word-97 versions of some of the forms that 
can be used by people who prefer to fill out the forms on their 
computers. If you don't have web access, contact me for hard 
copy forms.

Informal Mountaineering Committee Procedures are in the PCS 
binder at http://www.climber.org/pcs/Binder/

-- Ron Karpel

1999 End-of-Year Treasurer's Report

The PCS is in satisfactory financial health.  The number of 
hardcopy subscribers has declined to 90 likely due to an 
increased number of people choosing to view the "Scree" on the 
web or to receive it electronically.

The traditional method of measuring the net worth of the PCS has 
been to calculate the cost of the newsletters owed members at 
this time and subtract that amount from the ending balance.  This 
brings our net worth to $487.49.  Calculations are below.

The average balance in the checking account has fallen from 
$1122 at the beginning of 1999 to $973 at the end.  Our low 
balance is due to our taking in less in subscriptions than we 
spend to print and mail the "Scree", and to a service charge of 
$12 being levied against our account every month.

Continuing to draw down our balance will have unwanted results.  
It may be time to raise the cost of a "Scree" subscription, or to 
reduce the size of the newsletter to bring down the cost of 
printing it.

Thanks to Jim Ramaker for his help in preparing this statement.

-- Dee Booth

Beginning Balance 1/16/99                                   1184.47
Income from Scree Subscriptions           963.00
Expenses from Printing and Mailing Scree          1075.58
July Barbeque                                       30.00
Bank Service Charges                               144.00
*Cost of newsletters owed to paid members          410.40
Ending Balance 12/5/99                                       487.49

*Number of hardcopy subscribers                         90
Average number of months remaining on subscriptions    x 6
Number of newsletters owed                             540
Average cost of printing and mailing newsletters      x.76                                       
Cost of newsletters owed to paid members            410.40

PCS Trips

PCS trips must be submitted through the Scheduler (see back 
cover for details). Trips not received from the Scheduler will be 
listed as PRIVATE, without recourse.

*** Rock Climbing Practice

Dates:	Tue. April 4th (evening session), 
	Sat. April 8th (practice),
	Sat. April 15th (backup date)
Leaders:	Ron Karpel, Kelly Maas, Rick Booth
Contact:	Ron Karpel, email: ronny@karpel.org (W)510-771-3231

This is a restricted outing of the Sierra Club.  To participate, you 
must be a Sierra Club Member.  Participants must be experience 
on class 3 terrain and will be required to use a helmet.

Our practice will emphasize safe rock climbing using rock 
climbing gear. The goal is to cover the kind of rock climbing 
situations one might encounter during mountaineering in the 
Sierra Nevada. We will practice climbing rock routes of class-4 
and easy class-5 (up to about 5.4) levels. Participants will train in 
general use of ropes, tying knots, using harnesses, using 
protections devices, setting anchors, using slings and biners, 
providing belay to leaders top rope belay to followers, tying in to 
a belay station, using belay devices, and practice rappelling. We 
do not intend to train in leading rock climbing.

The theory session will take place in a suitable location in the 
Bay Area (the Peninsula Conservation Center is one option). The 
practice itself will take place in the Pinnacles National 

Mt. Lassen - 12/29/99

I was restless, the weather was astonishingly good for December, 
but no one was free for a winter ascent of Lassen... so I went 
solo. It took only a couple of hours to reach the first lake from the 
chalet where they close the road in winter (5 mi north of Hwy 
89/36 junction), so I climbed Ski Heil and Eagle Peak that 
afternoon. Lassen and out by early afternoon the next day. This 
would be a good beginner's trip, with navigation practice around 
the lakes and ice axes on the face.

At the base of the peak, it was in the 20s at night, 50s during the 
day. There was no wind, the top 500' of the summit was mostly 
bare, and my campsite overlooking Helen Lake had a patch of dry 
duff to spread out my gear. I used snowshoes only around the 
lakes, with packed snow on the road and crampon ice on the face. 
(I went up the chute between the cliffs to make the route a BIT 
more interesting.)

Hmmm. Is this June or December?

Must be December, because there were snowmobile tracks ON 
THE LOWER SUMMIT bump! They went right over the cable 
marked "sensitive plants", but the amazing thing was that they 
got up 1000' of 35 degree slopes! The machines I rode in Alaska 
as a kid wouldn't have survived that.

Spectacular sunset and sunrise, purple and orange that doesn't 
show up well in photographs, but if you've never been there you 
really need to see the (embarassing?) summit surprise. Pictures 
are now at  http://www.climber.org/TripReports/

DRIVING THERE: From I-5, exit in Red Bluff and go east on 
Hwy 36. After 45 miles, turn north on 89 and continue 6 miles to 
the entrance station, where you must pay $10 year round (use 
self-pay slot if the station is unmanned). If you have a Golden 
Eagle or similar pass, you can write the number on the envelope 
at the entrance station. You will be ticketed if you don't have an 
envelope stub on your dash. It's not clear if you can park along 89 
just outside the entrance station to avoid the fee.

The rangers have a lot of trouble describing where the road is 
closed if you call them - they just keep saying that you must know 
where the chalet is, and it's closed THERE! Hard to find on a 
road map, but now I know it's East-Southeast of Brokeoff Mtn.

In the winter, the south approach to Lassen is closed at "the 
chalet", which serves the overnight parking lot next to the park 
entrance station.

The chalet has pay phones, restrooms, and a first aid station, and 
appears to be mostly open year round even though the restaurant 
is closed in winter.

The road is plowed to the parking loops between the entrance 
station and the chalet, which is within site of the entrance station.

In spite of what the rangers say on the phone, self-issue permits 
are available at the chalet in winter. In summer, you should stop 
at the ranger station on the north side of Hwy 36 in the town of Mineral.

The station was closed when I was there (12/99) even though 
they told me I had to stop for a permit when I called in advance.

-- Steve Eckert

Lone Pine Peak - December 1999

I decided to take advantage of the dry "La Nina" winter and try to 
sneak one more sierra peak into the 1999 season. So at 4:00 a.m., 
I left my (warm) home in the Antelope Valley and headed for the 
eastern sierra - my plan was to day hike Lone Pine Peak.

After a quick drive up 395, I was on the Meysan Lakes trail at 
7:00 a.m., and after a pleasant hike arrived at the small unnamed 
lake just below (northeast) Meysan Lake.  Secor recommends 
taking a chute which starts at Meysan Lake, but the broad chute 
which angled to the left (east) of my location looked like it would 
work.  While this route did get me to the summit ridge, I can't say 
it was a lot of fun, in fact it sucked - lots of sand and scree mixed 
in with an occasional loose boulder.  Also, the low winter sun 
angle prevented the sun from shining on this side of the ridge, so 
I was getting a little chilly.  After one false summit (referred to as 
an "observation point" in a previous trip report), I was at the 
summit register at 12:00 p.m.  By now the wind had picked up a 
bit, and I was feeling the effects of a quick ascent from near sea 
level.  So I had a quick lunch and headed back down.

I did make one slight error on the way down which is worth 
mentioning. Instead of returning via the ascent chute, I chose a 
chute that was just northeast of my ascent route - it was marked 
with a cairn and there was evidence of previous descents, so I 
figured it would probably go.

Unfortunately, this chute (and several others to the southwest) all 
end in cliffs.  Since I didn't have a rope, I had to traverse over 
several steeps ribs before I found a safe descent route.

The hike back on the trail was uneventful, and I reached my truck 
at 3:45 p.m.  A majority of the trip was on dry ground.  What 
little snow I did encounter was less than 8" deep (wind drifts) 
and easy to negotiate in hiking boots.

-- Ron Norton


We've had 90 degree weather, 20 degree weather, a snow storm 
on the day we hiked from 12K - 15K, and rain but, we've made it 
back down the mountain after a truly unique trip!

Steve made it up to the summit of Kilimanjaro at 19,340 ft., 
arriving at the crater rim in time for sunrise and back down to 
camp in just under10 hours. Rebecca made it up to Barafu Camp, 
at 15,000 ft., before being felled by altitude aliments (head- and 
stomach-wise). Twenty of the 30 climbers made it up to the 
summit on Jan 22; two more made it up to the crater rim. The trip 
down the mountain was almost as memorable -- skiing down 
9,000 ft. of thick, wet mud left all of us filthy and definitely ready 
for our first shower in days!

We leave tomorrow for our safari in the Serengeti area -- should 
give us plenty more stories to tell! Cheers,

-- Rebecca Eckert, from the Marangu Hotel (Tanzania)

PCS and SPS on BCS

Bear Creek Spire (13,713) is one of those classic peaks that every 
aspiring Sierra mountaineer must deal with sooner or later.  
Seven of us gathered on the morning of Sat. July 31 to attempt it: 
David Ress, Bob Suzuki, Joan Marshall, Eddie Sudol, Carol 
Snyder, Terry Flood, and myself(Jim Ramaker). (Carol and Terry 
are experienced SPS climbers from the San Diego area -- my 
second trip in a row where PCS and SPS climbers joined forces.) 
Instead of the standard Ulrich route, our goal was the northeast 
buttress, with experienced rock climbers David and Bob planning 
lead the several class-4 pitches.

We left the Rock Creek trailhead at 7:30 a.m. and hiked into 
Little Lakes Valley. The hike up from this trailhead is so easy it's 
mind-boggling. You're in nice alpine country right from the 
parking lot, and after just three hours of hiking through the gently 
rolling terrain of meadows and lakes, you're in position to camp 
for one of the four big peaks in the area -- Mills, Abbot, Dade, 
and Bear Creek Spire.  No wonder this trailhead attracts many 
casual dayhikers.  Mosquitoes were almost non-existent, a 
welcome change from my trip three weeks earlier.

We set up camp at Treasure Lakes at 10, then continued up the 
valley past Dade Lake under partly cloudy skies.  We'd had some 
light showers at Camp9 in Yosemite the night before, but the 
forecast was for improving weather.  Pleasant cross-country travel 
up slabs, talus, and snow took us to the foot of the buttress by 1 
p.m.  The buttress was a sobering though not terrifying sight, 
rising 1500' to the summit ridge.  The first hour of climbing was 
pleasant class 2-3 scrambling with no difficulties. About halfway 
up is a steep section of rough-textured, beautifully solid rock, 
which we climbed unroped via ramps and ledges on the left side, 
with perhaps a move or two of class-4.  I thought we'd have hard 
climbing from then on, and was surprised to find another long 
stretch of class 2-3scrambling with no exposure.  All the real 
difficulties of this route are right near the top.

Around 3 p.m., Joan decided to descend because of altitude 
sickness, and Bob went down with her, which left us with just 
one experienced lead climber for the five of us. About the same 
time, the sky darkened and a few snowflakes drifted down. But 
we heard no thunder, so we continued up and soon reached the 
area just below the summit ridge where the buttress merges with 
a nearly vertical headwall.  We got out our two ropes and David 
led up this section, then belayed the other four of us up. No  
problems, except the pitch took a full hour. We turned left and 
climbed alittle way unroped along a ledge on the left side of the 
airy summit ridge, then roped up for a horizontal pitch on the 
crest of the blocky, exposed ridge.  To save time, we had one 
person belay while two climbers on the rope simul-climbed. 
David put in plenty of pro to keep us safe. Our third roped pitch 
continued along the ridge, dropping down to the right onto an 
easy sidewalk ledge.

Now it was 5:30 p.m. and we were at the base of the steep 30' 
wall right below the summit, with no time to waste. David soloed 
the wall via some thin, exposed face moves over on the right, 
then belayed the rest of us as we climbed the awkward squeeze 
chimney on the left described in Secor (Carol climbed the airy 
face moves like David). At the top of the cliff I was dismayed to 
see we were still not up -- we had another 40 feet of ridge-
running and then the infamous summit block. We did this part 
unroped -- David, Terry, and Eddie climbed up on the summit 
block, while Carol and I were content to reach up and slap the 
highest point.  I don't recommend doing the summit block 
unroped unless you're an expert - the move down from it onto a 
single shallow foothold is awkward and very exposed. Eddie lay 
folded over the summit for a minute or more, unwilling to push 
his body out from the slanting face and make the move down. 
Finally he did so as the rest of us averted our eyes.

We rapped down the 30' cliff, and then David cleaned the rap 
anchor and climbed down unroped. The dark clouds of late 
afternoon were breaking up, but the sun was sinking fast, so we 
hurried down the class-3 ledges of the Ulrich route.  This section 
is not trivial -- the ledges are covered with gravel and rubble, and 
it's possible to get off-route and cliff out. About 7 we arrived at 
the sandy class-2 terrain above Cox Col, the difficulties finally 
behind us.  Descending the moderate snowfield below Cox Col 
was no problem except for the slightly snow-phobic southern 
Californians.  Next was a beautiful section of downsloping slabs 
and ledges, some with cascades running down them. Finally we 
arrived at Dade Lake, but it was now 8:30 p.m. and we were 
running out of daylight. "Another epic," David exclaimed -- with 
fresh memories of his18-hour day on Norman Clyde the week 

This was my first experience getting caught out on the talus in 
the dark, and it wasn't bad.  It's amazing how long the faint light 
of twilight lasts and how much it can help you walk, especially 
over white granite boulders.  I had a flashlight but didn't need it 
most of the time.  From our camp, Bob shone his flashlight 
toward us for over an hour, which was a great help because the 
pinpoint of light showed us exactly where to head and we didn't 
have to worry about route finding in the dark.  When we finally 
pulled into camp at 9:30, Bob handed each of us a hot mug of 
soup.  What a guy.

It was a happy camp that night as we had a late dinner and 
crawled into our sleeping bags.  Sunday we slept in a bit and had 
a leisurely Sunday brunch.  Around 9:30 Carol and Terry hiked 
out, and Bob and Joan persuaded Eddie and me to head up 
Treasure Peak (12,920+), the junior-sized peak just west of our 

We headed up grassy gullies to a scree plateau about 1/3 of the 
way up, then contemplated the cliffs of the steep upper pyramid.  
A direct assault looked like class-4 or harder, so we traversed up 
and right onto a class-3 ledge system just above an area of white 
rock. After awhile I spotted a gully over to the right and we 
entered it.  It cliffed out below us, but formed a hidden highway 
above us all the way to the summit. We'd somehow managed to 
find about the only class-3 way up the east side of this peak. A 
short way up the gully, Joan decided to descend, and Bob again 
gallantly escorted her down.  Eddie and I continued up and 
summited at 12:30.

Looking west, we realized we hadn't really climbed Treasure 
Peak - an exposed knife edge separated us from the slightly 
higher west summit. The standard route up Treasure Peak is from 
the west and is class-3. Oh well, at least we did a mildly sporty 
climb and got on top of something high. Views were wonderful 
because we were in the interior of Little Lakes Valley and could 
look off toward high peaks to the east, west, and south.

Eddie and I retraced our circuitous route on the descent, and then 
we all packed up and hiked out about 2:30. Instead of taking the 
use trail back to the main trail, we went up on the ridge to the 
east of camp and walked along the slabs there (a "shortcut" that 
Bob and David wanted to try).After a few minutes going cross-
country, the only fiasco of the trip happened. Eddie discovered 
that his daypack had fallen off his backpack, and said he was 
going to retrace his steps for no more than 5 minutes to look for 
it.  That was the last we saw of him for six hours! We waited for 
him for about 40 minutes, with frequent yelling and whistle 
blowing to guide him back to us, but no luck.  We then decided 
no point in all of us waiting, so Bob, Joan, and David hiked out to 
head for home.  I waited another 20 minutes, blowing my whistle 
every minute, then decided Eddie must have gone all the way 
back to the lake where we camped and taken the use trail down.  
I'd been there an hour, and for Eddie to go back to the lake and 
return to me would've taken no more than 30 minutes.

So I hiked the rest of the way out in an hour, getting to the 
trailhead at 5. Three hours later it was 8 p.m. and still no Eddie! I 
considered leaving, figuring Eddie had sleeping gear with him 
and would just have to find his own way home. Instead I took a 
long walk up the trail and finally at 8:30, there was Eddie.  He'd 
found his daypack, BUT HAD LOSTHIS BACKPACK! Unknown 
to me, when we split up, he took off his backpack, and had been 
unable to find where he left it.  He was unclear about just where 
he'd been searching for it, but apparently he went too high up 
onthe ridge and too far east, ending up over near Chickenfoot 
Lake. He never heard our yelling and whistling, and ended up 
searching for three hours.  Good thing I waited -- if I'd left, he 
would've arrived at the10,000-foot trailhead at 9 p.m. with 
nothing but shorts and a t-shirt.

-- Jim Ramaker

Porter - November, 1999

Thursday evening Lori and I drove down to Ballarat and enjoyed 
the opportunistic foxes who circled us.  Up bright and early 
Friday for thed rive up Pleasant Canyon.  My heart sank when we 
started to see how bad the road is.  We were moving rocks within 
the first half mile.  We did major work on three wash crossings.  
After having gone not even two miles, the road climbs steeply out 
of the floor of the canyon.  This was going to take more time 
moving rocks than we had.  Also, we had been warned of serious 
washouts only a little ahead.  I thought that our project was 
doomed and that finishing the list would be put off indefinitely.  
We were only at 3000 feet and still four miles below Clair Camp.

Lori, however, was adamant.  She said "It's only 20 miles."  With 
this encouragement, we shouldered the packs and were off.  In a 
short distance, the first water appeared on the road and continued 
for the next mile.  In places the stream covered the road.  There 
were several badly washed out sections which no 2wd vehicle can 
do and looked tricky for 4wd.  Above the water the road would 
prove to be very good until the last half mile to the Cooper Mine.

We finally hit the sun at Clair Camp.  We had gone four miles 
and climbed to 5000 feet.  The guide says to continue up the road 
foranother 2.5 miles to the "Stone Corral" where one should take 
a leftfork.  This sounded easy enough.  After what seemed like 
quite a long distance and still no Stone Corral we became 
concerned as we were now heading off up the now broad valley 
toward the SE.  Study of the map showed that we were way past 
were the Stone Corral was and that the road we wanted, up to the 
Cooper mine, now lay along the base of the hillside on the far 
side of the valley, although it was not visible.  We took off cross 
country, trusting the map.  This proved to be accurate and we 
were soon trudging up the road which was not too bad up to a 
mine shaft entrance at a point where the road crossed the small 
canyon it was following and the switch backed steeply back to the 
south, gaining the ridge to the right of the canyon.  At this point, 
we are directly below a prominent peak with a very white rocky 
top, the most noticable feature in the entire upper valley.  Where 
the road traversed left, we stashed two water bottles and began 
the rising coutour to the saddle east of the white topped peak.  
This was not especially pleasant, but went quickly. Up the west 
ridge of Porter through the Pinyons to the pretty summit where 
we had a very quick bite to eat.  It was 1:45; fortunately it was all 
downhill.  On the way down we never did see the Stone Corral. 
Correct instructions for finding the fork to the Cooper Mine: 
From the sign "Death Valley National Park", continue another 
200 yard sup the road to a fork and turn left.  Note that there is a 
hard left right at the sign which appears to go to the saddle west 
of the white topped peak.

We trucked on down much faster than our ascent, arriving at our 
2wdToyota maybe two minutes before we would have gotten the 
headlamps out and were back home before 9pm.

Round trip stats: 20 miles, 6000 feet, 11 hours ( although we lost 
30 minutes because of the mythical Stone Corral ).

For those with 2wd, the optimal tactic for doing Porter now may 
be to do the backpack up Surprise Canyon to Panamint City, 
where there is water, climb both Sentinel and Porter the next day, 
and then hike out the third day.

-- Eric and Lori Beck

Private Trips

Private trips may be submitted directly to the Scree Editor, but 
are not insured, sponsored, or supervised by the Sierra Club. 
They are listed here because they may be of interest to PCS 

*** Feather Peak

Peak:	Feather Peak (13,242 ft.), Class:4 snow
Date:	May 27-29
Contact:	Kai Wiedman, (650)347-5234

Feather Peak is a striking landmark dominating the Royce Lakes basin. 

As a climbers' peak, known not only for its isolation but for 
its difficulty by any route, it has earned the respect of many a 
Sierra climber. We will attempt the North Couloir featured in the 
book "Sierra Classics."

Mt Shasta

Peak:	Mt. Shasta   14,162 ft.,Class: 3
Date:	June 3-4
Contact:	Kai Wiedman (650)347-5234
Co-Contact:	Cecil Anison   cecilann@earhlink.net

Mt. Shasta is a climbers' mountain, singular in its magnificence. 
Sargent's Ridge will be an airy, challenging route with steep 
traverses and mixed climbing.  Please join us on this exhillarating 


Scree is the monthly journal of the Peak Climbing Section 
of the Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter. Visit our website at

Elected Officials

	Rick Booth / pcs-chair@climber.org
	408-354-7291 home
	237 San Mateo Avenue, Los Gatos, CA 95030

Vice Chair and Trip Scheduler:
	Dee Booth / pcs-scheduler@climber.org
	408-354-7291 home
	237 San Mateo Avenue, Los Gatos, CA 95030

Treasurer and Membership Roster (address changes):
	Bill Kirkpatrick / pcs-treasurer@climber.org
	408-293-2447 home
	435 N. Second St. #217, San Jose CA 95112

Publicity Committee Positions

Scree Editor:
	Bob Bynum / pcs-editor@climber.org
	510-659-1413 home
	761 Towhee Court, Fremont CA 94539-7421

PCS World Wide Web Publisher:
	Aaron Schuman / pcs-webmaster@climber.org
	650-943-7532 home
	223 Horizon Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94043-4718

Publicity Chair:
	Steve Eckert / pcs-listmaster@climber.org
	650-508-0500 home
	1814 Oak Knoll Drive, Belmont, CA 94002-1753

Subscriptions and Email List Info

Hard copy subscriptions are $10. Subscription applications and 
checks payable to "PCS" should be mailed to the Treasurer so they 
arrive before the last Tuesday of the expiration month. If you are 
on one of the PCS email lists (either the sierra-nevada@climber.org
discussion list or the california-news@climber.org read-only list,
you have a free EScree subscription. For online info, send Email to
info@climber.org. EScree subscribers should send a subscription form
to the Treasurer to become voting PCS members at no charge. All 
subscribers are requested to send a donation of $2/year to cover 
operating expenses other than printing the Scree. The Scree is on 
the PCS web site (as both plain text and Adobe Acrobat/PDF) at 

Rock Climbing Classifications

The following trip classifications are to assist you in choosing trips for 
which you are qualified. No simple rating system can anticipate all 
possible conditions.
	Class 1: Walking on a trail.
	Class 2: Walking cross-country, using hands for balance.
	Class 3: Requires use of hands for climbing, rope may be used.
	Class 4: Requires rope belays.
	Class 5: Technical rock climbing.

Deadline for submissions to the next Scree is Sunday 2/27/2000. 
Meetings are the second Tuesday of each month.

"Vy can't ve chust climb?" - John Salathe

First Class EMail - Dated Material as soon as it's published!