Home | Scree | Back Issues

Scree for November, 1996

This is the EScree - the Electronic version of the Scree newsletter from
the Peak Climbing Section of the Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club.
It should be viewed or printed with a fixed-pitch font such as Courier.
     This publication may not be posted on any public news group.
                   November, 1996  Vol. 30, No. 11
    Deadline for submissions to the next Scree is Sunday 11/24/96.

Next meeting (PCS meetings are the second tuesday of each month)

Date:	Tuesday, November 12
Time:	8:00 pm
Location: Western Mountaineering Town & Country Village, San Jose
Program: The Awe of Aconcagua

Charles Schafer presents slides from a 1996 
expedition to the high point of the Western 
Hemisphere, 22,800' Aconcagua, in Argentina.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ All paths lead nowhere, so it is important  +
+ to choose a path that has heart.            +
+  - Carlos Castaneda                         +
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1997 Officer Nominations

The PCS Nominating Committee has twisted arms, pleaded, and 
threatened, all in search of the perfect slate of candidates. While 
we did our best, this year YOU have to do your part, too! Come 
to the November meeting in order to vote for one of these 
nominees (or contact the Chair if you can't attend):

 - Chair: Warren Storkman
 - Vice Chair / Scheduler: Bob Bynum, Palmer Dyal, Jim Ramaker
 - Treasurer: Jeff Fisher, George Van Gorden

In addition, nominations will be taken from the floor, and the 
ballots will have a spot to write in names not listed above. The 
winner will be announced at the meeting, and the new officers 
will take office immediately.

- PCS NomCom (Steve Eckert, Kelly Maas, Aaron Schuman)

Advance Trip Schedule

An enthusiastic bunch of PCS leaders gathered at Roger's house 
to sketch out a winter season of hiking, climbing and ski 
mountaineering.  Eighteen trips were proposed, but the names of 
leaders were withheld by agreement of those at the meeting. 
Contact the Editor and the Scheduler if you have a change to 
this list, or if you wish to have your name listed. Leaders, get 
your announcements, with trip details and contact information, 
to the PCS trip Scheduler for the full trip announcement:

   Nov 9	Mission Peak, leader Debbie Benham
   Nov 9-11	Mt Shasta - Whitney Glacier
   Dec 1	Forest of Nisene Marks, leader Cecil Magliocco
   Dec 7	Junipero Serra, leader George Van Gorden
   Dec 7-8	Tinker Knob & Castle Peak, leader Aaron Schuman
   Dec 14	San Benito Mtn
   Dec 27-29	Mt Lamarck, leader George Van Gorden
   Jan 12	Mt Sizer - Henry Coe Park
   Jan 18-19	Pyramid Peak
   Jan 18-20	The Needles (Southern Sierra)
   Jan 25	Mt Tamalpais
   Jan 25-26	Round Top
   Feb 8	Mt Diablo, leader Aaron Schuman
   Feb 15-17	Mt Eddy (near Mt Shasta)
   Feb 15-17	Mt Lassen
   Mar 8	Waddell Creek
   Mar 15-17	Excelsior & Dunderberg, leader (SPS) Steve Eckert
   Mar 22-23	Ventana Double Cone
   Apr 5-6	Lamont Peak & Pilot Knob, leader Aaron Schuman
   Apr 18-20	Gilbert & Johnson, leader (SPS) Steve Eckert

More Furry Friend Encounters

Below is a group of wildlife stories solicited and assembled by 
Butch Suits from PCS mailing list members. 

*** Curiosity and the Cat

I'll never forget the cold January 1989 evening when I sat staring 
into the face of a mountain lion only 15 feet away. The moon 
was full, and I was alone in the Ventana Wilderness. Probably 
the sardines I had eaten for supper had attracted the big cat.

Bigger than I was.

I was sitting in the dark after supper hoping to see some deer or 
raccoons when I heard rustling in the chaparral. Suddenly a dark 
shape emerged. It came closer and closer. At 15 feet distance, I 
decided I had better turn on my headlamp. It stared at the light 
for about 15 long seconds, then leaped into the brush. I heard it 
twice more circling my tent in the night. In the morning there 
were fresh tracks all around. 

- Debbie Bulger

*** Of Mice and Campers

The setting was Anza-Borrego, at Thanksgiving, a few years ago. 
After a hard day of riding in a 4WD on the dirt roads, Peter and I 
returned to the car-camp, and I carelessly dropped my backpack in 
the tent. The pack contained a few leftover packs of fruity dinosaurs. 
Unknowingly, I had infringed on the "no food in the tent law".

We zipped up the tent as we went to bed... In the middle of the night, 
Peter exclaimed: "Something ran through my hair!" At first I did not 
believe him. But soon, I heard a scratchy noise, and I came to the 
realization that we were sharing the tent with a mouse.

I remembered my mother catching escaped pet rats in her pre-school: 
specifically, I knew rats ran along the walls. So we piled up our stuff 
in the middle of the tent, clearing the sides, and proceeded to scare 
the mouse from the end of the tent. Sure enough, it followed the tent 
walls to freedom.

The damage: half-eaten dinos and mouse teethmarks on my parka 
sleeve. The lesson: I never leave any food in a tent. 

- Anouchka Gaillard

*** Of Rats and Climbers

Kai Wiedman and I were traversing Matthes Crest in Yosemite, 
and we bivied on the only viable ledge. We were bothered all 
night by a little rodent that was intent on scurrying around and 
over our sleeping bags, generally preventing us from getting 
much sleep. It also loved the (salty?) leather of Kai's running 
shoes and proceeded to chew a hole in one of them. I got a great 
flash photo of it in the middle of the night.

I later identified it as a bushy tailed wood rat, otherwise known 
as a pack rat. What it lives on I don't know. Matthes Crest sees 
few ascents, so the shoe leather must have been a special treat. 

- Kelly Maas

*** Rodents Have Summit Fever Too.

Back east, I went for a hike up Mt Monadnock.  It was a nice windy 
day.  While we were hiding from the wind on the summit, the local 
mammal was scurrying around.  It took a few glimpses before I 
believed what I was seeing: the local camp robber was a weasel.

- Hal Murray

*** Who's Herding Who?

Well, it was in spring, just as the last snows were melting. I went for 
a hike by myself along an old road that was bordered on one side by 
a geyser basin and on the other by a power line through cleared pine 
forest. As I started out, three bull elk were lying in the middle of the 
road, chewing their cud or whatever bull elk do out of season. "Pas 
de probleme" thought I. There was a boggy little meadow just to my 
left, so I went that way and squished along the far side of it. The elk 
stood up and looked at me. I looked at them and kept going. They 
paced along the road, going in the same direction as me.

At the end of the meadow I could keep walking along the power line 
route, I thought, until I could pass the elk and get back on the road. 
Well, they kept pace with me. Then one left the road and stood 
ahead of me under the power line, blocking the way. I couldn't go any 
further to the left without climbing a lava flow in dense forest. Elk 
ahead of me, elk to the right of me, cliff to the left of me. Somehow I 
was getting the message that these elk didn't want me to keep going. 
And one bull elk is a large, well-armed animal. Let alone three of 
them. So I said "OK guys, I'm leaving" and turned back.

At the trailhead I met another group of hikers, and we all went down 
the road together. Of course now the elk just moved away from us, 
leaving my story of being herded off by them sounding pretty silly. 

- Chris MacIntosh

*** Mission Peak Menagerie

The steep west face of Mission Peak overlooks the densely populated 
South Bay. Despite the urban sprawl nearby, if you leave Mission 
Peak's trails and hike up among its crumbling sandstone cliffs, you 
are likely to see wildlife. You're almost sure to see a red-tailed 
hawk, who protests your presence with a distinctive call: a scream 
that falls in pitch.

Once, from the foot of one of the outcrops, I observed an aerobatics 
team more skilled than the Blue Angels. Cloud of swifts banked in 
the sun with breathtaking speed and precision. Random squadrons 
would break off from the huge mass, there cries tittering in unison; 
moments later, they would spiral back into the larger vortex of black 
and white birds. 

Once while hiking up a steep grass slope between the cliffs, I saw a 
small animal climbing ahead of me. What was it? A coyote? A cat? I 
sped up in order to identify it. I was astonished to find my companion 
was a small bobcat, a quarter of a mile from the nearest cover, 
seemingly climbing to the summit! It moved slowly, as if tired. I got 
within about 15 feet but it avoided me by moving behind a big fin of 
rock. Mischievously, I hurried up to where the fin ended, and greeted 
him at the top, as he continued to labor up the hill. He had enough 
energy to bare his teeth in displeasure, as if to say: "What? You 
again! Cut me some slack."  So I did, continuing up to the summit.

Earlier this year, descending a cross-country route back to the main 
trail, I heard a voice unlike any I had heard in the 15 years I've been 
hiking on Mission Peak: a ridiculous, high-pitched ululation coming 
from the forested creekbed nearby. The cry resounded every half-
minute or so. Though its origin was hidden, there was no mistaking 
its identity: It was a wild turkey, calling for a mate. "You pathetic 
creature," I thought with amusement. "You think you're going to find 
a mate down there? You're in for a long, lonely night." Then I 
compared his plight to my own single lifestyle of recent months, and 
I realized that deep down, men and turkeys have a lot in common. 

- Butch Suits

Official (PCS) Trips

PCS trips must be submitted through the Scheduler (see 
back cover for details). Trips not submitted to the 
Scheduler will be listed as PRIVATE, without recourse.

*** Mission Peak Conditioning Hike
Peak:	Mission Peak (2,517')	class 1
Date:	Nov 9	Sat
Leader:	Debbie Benham	415-964-0558
Co-Leader:	Anouchka Gaillard	408-737-9770

Meet at the Stanford Ave trailhead [near 880 and Mission 
Blvd] at 9am and join us for a brisk,  morning jaunt up Mission 
Peak. Please be prompt! We should be back by noon.

*** Shuffling up Chalone
Peak:	North Chalone Peak	class 2
Trailhead:	Bear Gulch Trail, Pinnacles Nat Monument
Date:	Nov 17	Sun
Leader:	Roger Crawley	415-321-8602

This is spectacular volcanic area and November is a good 
time to see it. Pinnacles is a 2 hour drive south of San 
Jose. The trail takes us through "the caves" and requires 
flashlights. We then climb 2,150' over a distance of about 
5 miles to our summit. Time permitting, we'll return via the 
Balconies Trail (another 5 miles). Afterwards we'll stop at 
the micro brewery in Hollister for refreshments.

*** On Your Mark...
Trip:	Forest of Nisene Marks	class 1
Date:	Dec 1	Sun
Leader:	Cecil Magliocco	408-358-1168 cecilm@ix.netcom.com

Forest of Nisene Marks conditioning hike. This will 
probably be about a 3C (up to 15 miles and 3000' gain).  If 
you haven't seen this park in the fall, you've missed out.   
Meet at Los Gatos Park & ride on Hwy. 9 and Santa Cruz 
Ave. at 8:00 a.m.

*** Junipero Serra
Peak:	Junipero Serra (5,900')	class 2
Date:	Dec 7	Sat
Leader:	George Van Gorden	before 9: 408-779-2320

Great winter mountain, a forest of sugar pines singing 
seductively in the incessant winds, the eteral light of the 
Sant Lucias, something of what Faterh Serra must have 
dimly beheld through the veil of his faith, and if there's 
been a recent rain the possibility of a bit of snow near the 
summit.  The walk is about 12 miles roud trip with 4000' of 
gain. We need to be to the trailhead by 9:30 am.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Behold, I am against thee, O destroying mountain, +
+ saith the LORD, which destroyest all the earth:   +
+ and I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and   +
+ roll thee down from the rocks,                    +
+ and will make thee a burnt mountain.              +
+   -- Jeremiah 51:25, KJV                          +
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Middle Palisade

September 7, 1996: Rich Leiker and I climbed Middle Palisade, 
the twelfth 14er in California for each of us. The climb was so 
enjoyable that it was hard to understand why we had not done it 

We departed from Glacier Lodge at 7:30 Saturday morning, 
carrying light overnight packs. I also had a rope, helmet, and 
crampons because I'd read prior reports about 4th class climbing 
if you get off route, lots of loose rock, and a difficult crossing of 
the Middle Palisade Glacier. The equipment was severe 

We took the standard approach up the South Fork of Big Pine 
creek, reaching the top of the switchbacks at 9, Brainerd Lake at 
10, and Finger Lake (by a cross-country use trail) at 10:30. From 
Finger, we intended to climb to the tarn on the next bench to 
establish base camp. I led us too high up ledges on the right side 
of Finger lake, eventually climbing above the tarn and wasting 
time descending 3rd class cliffs to the water. We learned on the 
descent that the left side of finger lake was a much better choice, 
at least in late season when it is not blocked by snow.

By noon we had eaten lunch and enjoyed the great views of the 
Thumb which overlooks the drainage. We left overnight gear at 
the tarn and climbed to the Middle Palisade glacier and the 
moraine running down from the peak. It is important to watch 
the mountain carefully on the approach to pick out the proper 
chute. Despite lots of route finding complaints in old trip 
reports, we had no problem identifying the chute illustrated in 
the California 14er's book, which turned out to be an excellent 
path. The key to get in the chute is to traverse about 100 feet left 
along the top of the Middle Pal glacier from the moraine until a 
ledge becomes visible leading right. An ice axe was useful, but 
crampons were unnecessary. Even in late season, the 
bergschrund was not an obstacle.

The east face of Middle Palisade is very imposing from a 
distance, but proves to be an easy and enjoyable climb. It was 
straightforward class 3, bordering on class 2 in many places. The 
rock is high quality Palisade granite with excellent holds. A bit 
of loose rock is present on the ledges, but no more than one 
would expect on any other Sierra climb. Rockfall was not a 
problem with two people, but could be an issue with a larger 

Peter Maxwell's PCS trip report was another useful reference for 
route finding. Climb the obvious chute toward the summit (it's 
so broad at first that it would better be called a face than a 
chute). Eventually it narrows and runs out; climb over to the 
right and continue up the next chute. The chute forks; take the 
left branch to a notch (from the glacier, the notch is clearly 
visible to the left of a roundish high point on the ridge with two 
white bands running diagonally a few hundred feet below the 
top). Climb left for 50 feet to the true summit of Middle 
Palisade. We made a slightly interesting exposed move onto the 
summit from the east, but descended an easier route on the west. 
We were admiring the views of Norman Clyde and Sill by 3:00.

After a leisurely meal on the top with the obligatory summit 
photos and sightseeing, we returned to camp. The round trip 
from the tarn was 5 1/2 hours without pushing very hard, but 
without having to search for the route or do any ropework. Since 
we were done so early, we decided to pack out and have a real 
dinner. We got back to the cars at 8:30, using headlamps for the 
last 20 minutes.

Overall, we thought Middle Palisade was one of the most fun 
climbs in the Sierra. The face looks very imposing. The climbing 
is exciting, yet the holds are good and the exposure is not too 
severe. The approach is short and the views are magnificent. 

- David Harris

Whitney via JMT

On June 30 at 4:30 p.m. my 14-yr. daughter, Christina and I 
started our hike from Horseshoe Meadows (about 35 trail miles 
south of Mt. Whitney).  We traveled slowly the first few days in 
order to allow Christina to acclimatize.  After that we hiked 10 
to 16 miles a day.

New Army pass was the first pass and the most difficult section 
we encountered on the trail, because the top had the remnant of 
a steep cornice that we had to plow through. On July 3 we 
camped at Crabtree Meadows and on July 5 we bagged Mt. 
Whitney, which was a pleasant 13 hr., 15 mile walk from the 
meadow with 3,700 feet of elevation gain. The summit of Mt. 
Whitney is the southern terminus of the John Muir Trail. 
Forester Pass, the highest spot on the John Muir Trail at nearly 
13,200 feet was surprisingly easy and relatively clear of snow.

The section that seemed the most remote and least populated 
was between Pinchot and Mather Pass. The view north from 
Mather Pass was the most spectacular on the trip: we could see 
Middle Pal, North Pal, Mt. Sill and the upper Palisade Lake. 
The snowiest pass by far was Muir Pass, which had at least two 
miles of snow on either side.

We collected our only cache at the Muir Trail Ranch, which is 
100 trail miles north of Whitney (approximately the half-way 
point on the JMT, which is 211 miles long) and a few hundred 
yards off the trail between the junction with the trail to Piute 
Pass and Bear Ridge. This was convenient but expensive (they 
charge $45 per bucket, 25 lb. max). There are no other services 
for hikers at the Ranch, except they'll take your mail, which they 
haul down to civilization by mule once a week or so. If I had it 
to over again, I would hike another day north to a cache at 
Vermilion Valley Ranch. At VVR they charge $6 per cache.

VVR was one of the highlights of our trip. We picked up a ferry 
at Edison Lake, a reservoir 2 miles beyond the junction of the 
JMT and Mono Creek (near the base of Bear Ridge). For 
$14/person, we got a round-trip ticket to the resort, a night in a 
tent cabin and a free beer (microbrew, no less!). Even better, 
there was a telephone and hot food. For these reasons, several 
hikers as far south as Whitney raved about VVR and 
recommended that we stop there. At the resort, I bumped into a 
lady that I had only seen once before in my life -- at the hut on 
Orizaba last January!

Christina hurt herself slightly at a stream crossing so we decided to 
end our hike at Reds Meadow on July 18. From there we boarded the 
tram to Mammoth Lakes ($4 each) and took a Greyhound to LA ($45 
each). We plan to go back on two separate weekends to hike from 
Reds to Toulomne and from Toulomne to the northern terminus of 
the JMT -- Yosemite Valley).

The hike was wonderful. On most days there were surprisingly 
few people on the trail, sometimes only 1 or 2. The exceptions 
were the day we hiked Whitney and the day we hiked from 
McClure Meadow to the Muir Trail Ranch (on both days, we 
encountered about 70 people: climbers on Whitney and 
California Conservation Core workers on our way to the Ranch).

During much of the way we were able to use bear boxes, saving 
us the hassle of hanging food. We were warned by the rangers to 
be especially wary of bears in LeConte Canyon (where there 
were no bear boxes). We were told that someone left food in a 
tent for 2 days last summer and a bear ripped into it. At the 
ranger station in LeConte Canyon, we saw a note saying that on 
July 10 a bear attacked the back pack of a hiker (no one was 
hurt). I have a friend who said that his tent was ripped by a bear 
a few years ago. We avoided camping in LeConte Canyon.

I used a set of thirteen 8 1/2 x 11 inch topo maps that were 
especially prepared for the JMT (I found it at Western 
Mountaineering fro about $16); I highly recommend that anyone 
doing the JMT purchase this set of maps since they're all you 
need and are cheaper and more convenient than the regular 
topos. I also recommend the popular "guide to the John Muir 
Trail" by Thomas Winnett. I bought a JMT video that I 
discovered while surfing the net. We used a pair of rubber 
"river" shoes that helped us keep our boots dry and our feet from 
getting hurt on the rocks on the dozens of stream crossings that 
we negotiated. 

- Tony Cruz

Watch Out For Warren

When Warren Storkman tells you "we did this in 12 hours when 
I was your age", it's a sure bet you're in for a long hike... but Jeff 
Fisher and I agreed to accompany him on a day hike from Happy Isle
(Yosemite Valley) to Florence Peak anyway (17 Aug 96). We left at
first light, with long strides and high hopes for a short day.


It's all trail past Merced Lake, but the last 3000' gain (out of over 
9000' total for the trip) is second-class cross country travel. 
Warren turned back somewhere near where we left the trail, but 
still did a 30 mile day. Did I mention that he expected it to be 
32-34 miles? Try 38.

Jeff and I summited around 5pm (11 hours up) gritting our teeth 
and swearing for the last hour or so. We were most worried 
about getting back to the trail by dark, and less worried about 
having to do a forced bivy with no gear, and (for me at least) 
even less worried about Jeff being late for a noon appointment 
back in the Bay Area the next day.

We collapsed somewhere near the outlet of Merced Lake, 
around midnight, and tried to sleep for a few hours. We froze, 
and moved on. We collapsed the second time at Twin Bridges 
just above Little Yosemite, and froze again. We made 
civilization (if you call Warren's cute little Kia Sportage 
civilization) around 8am, 26 hours after we started.

Yep, watch out for Warren!

- Steve Eckert

Unofficial (Private) Trips

Private trips may be submitted directly to the Scree Editor, 
but are not insured, sponsored, or supervised by the Sierra 
Club. They are listed here because they may be of interest to 
PCS members, not because they are endorsed by the PCS.

*** Wilderness Hot Springs Extravaganza
Trip:	Hot Springs	class 0
Dates:	Nov 9-11	Sat-Mon
Contact:	Dave Bybee	310-827-3315 105275.155@CompuServe.Com
Co-Contact:	Ursula Christie	805 527-5338

14th Annual Tour of the Mother Load of Hot Springs in the 
Bishop /Bridgeport area, east of John Muir's "Range of Light".  
In 3 days of car camping and tranquil saunters, we'll bag 
(soak) the 10 requisite hot springs to qualify you to receive the 
"coveted" Sierra Club Hot Spring Patch [from the Orange 
County Sierra Singles Section]. Saturday night will include the 
traditional custom sit-down gourmet dinner; this year at the 
historic "Old House" at Benton Hot Springs.  Sunday night 
you'll enjoy your own pool-side Bar BQ main dish at a another 
spring.  Group size strictly limited by the size of most of the 
wilderness pools.  Dispatch 2 SASE, check for $46 (payable 
"Sierra Club"), D & N phone #'s, drive/ride info to Dave Bybee, 
5322 Centinela Ave, LA 90066-6908.

Editor's note: Watch for the complete list of hot springs on 
the PCS web site. Coming soon to a modem near you.

*** Low-Cal Thanskgiving
Trip:	Sequoia National Park	easy snowshoe
Dates:	Nov 27 - Dec 1	Wed-Sun
Contact:	Rich Calliger	pager 510.659.7546 calliger@infolane.com

A  friend (winter-novice-level), and I are planning  a trip within 
the Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon and 
snowshoeing depending on of course the snow fall.  Storm 
cancels, light/moderate snow fall does not as the road to 
Lodgepole is kept open quite well as I noted the last 4-5 years 
even in hard snows. (If there is no snow we will still do this trip 
but plan to do it again in Jan or Feb when there is some.) 
Itinerary: from Silliman or Ranger Lake NW to Ball Dome, then 
W to Sugarloaf then perhaps S to Glacier Ridge area- as 
probably many of you know a very beautiful region as you get 
close to Triple Divide Peak.  Bag 1-2 peaks to the N or S  as 
we decide enroute. There is room for 4 more.  Total: 30-52 
miles+,  8,500-11,500' gain over 4 days depending on 
routes/group decisions.

*** Cool Christmas
Peak:	Mt. Lamark (13,400')	snow / class 2
Dates:	Dec 27-30	Fri-Mon
Trailhead:	Aspendale
Contact:	George Van Gorden	before 9: 408-779-2320

Do something a little different for th enew year; give yourself a 
cool Christmas present. Fairly strenuous with over 5000' of 
gain and very dependent upon good weather. Winter 
experience stronly recommended and knowledge of ice axe 
and crampon use. We will use snow shoes for most of the 
ascent and I hope to summit on the second day. Depending 
on snow conditions a third climbing day may be necessary.

Virginia And Twin A La Mode

In mid-July, Cecil Magliocco, Bob Suzuki, and Don Martin 
joined me (Jim Ramaker) on a trip to these two 12,000-foot 
peaks in northeast Yosemite. It was my first trip leading 
experience, and I was unprepared for the flurry of last-minute 
cancellations by Silicon Valley workaholics, including one at 
10:30 on Thursday evening!

But no matter -- the four of us met at the Green Lakes trailhead 
on a beautiful Saturday morning and headed up the trail to 
Green Lake. Moving fast, we reached Virginia Pass in 3 1/2 
hours and got our first glimpse of Virginia and Twin. The east 
face of Virginia looks almost vertical from here, and the view 
once inspired Peter Maxwell to exclaim "My Gahd, it's fifth 
clahss!!" Despite the appearance, it's safe class 3, but I was 
concerned to see steep snowfields high on the face, covering up 
the class-3 rock, because I hadn't told people to bring crampons.

We continued cross-country for a mile to the beautiful lake at 
the foot of Virginia Peak, set up our tents, and napped to ward 
off the effects of our first day at altitude (10,300'). Cecil was hot 
to do a peak, as we had many hours of daylight left, but clouds 
were gathering, and by 3 they were very black in the south, with 
occasional rumbles of thunder.

So we settled into an extended rest period and bull session, and 
I studied the face looming above, trying to figure out a way up 
that avoided the steep snowfields. At 4:30, we had tea time, 
which gradually merged into an early supper. Raindrops pattered 
a few times, but nothing serious.

Next morning we left camp at 6:45 and wandered up the scree to 
the steep black triangle in the center of the east face. The normal 
route goes up the right side of the triangle, but a huge steep 
snowfield blocked the route, so we went left of the triangle and 
climbed rocks alongside some smaller snowfields in that area.

This face has plenty of loose rock lying around, but the 
underlying rock of the mountain is solid, with nice incut holds -- 
a pleasure to climb. Soon we were up on the buttress in the 
center of the face above the black triangle, and at 8:30 we 
climbed onto the summit. The weather was so clear and mild we 
rested on the summit for a full hour, indulging in the usual 
snacks and photos.

Then we dropped down the class-2 northwest ridge to a saddle 
and started the traverse over to Twin Peaks via its south ridge. 
This ridge is class 2 most of the way, with wonderful views west 
to Whorl Mountain and Matterhorn Peak. The last part of the 
ridge is blocked by large pinnacles, and normally you can 
traverse on a class-3 ledge system on the right that goes on for 
several hundred feet and takes you past the pinnacles. But on 
this day I couldn't find the ledges, and both Cecil and I 
commented that the climb seemed harder than when we did it 
last October.

I wondered if we were off route, then realized we were too high 
on the side of the ridge, and the ledges were below us, buried 
under steep snowfields clinging to the rock. We continued on, 
edging carefully across steep snowfields without crampons, or 
else climbing on the rock above the snow. Several times we took 
to the moat between rock and snow in order to make progress. A 
couple hundred feet short of the summit, we almost hit a dead 
end in a 10-foot deep section of the moat, with smooth rock on 
one side and vertical snow and ice on the other. After some false 
starts, I was able to chimney my way out with my back against 
the snow and feet on the rock. The others followed, and soon we 
were climbing the last class-3 rock slope to the summit. The 
west half of Twin Peaks has three large rounded humps on top, 
and the third one is the summit.

We had another nice rest there and admired the view, which 
included not only the familiar Yosemite peaks from Tower Peak 
down through Conness and Dana to the Cathedral range, but 
also Half Dome, Clouds Rest, and Banner and Ritter. Finally, it 
was time to descend.

The challenging climbing was over, which was okay with us, 
and we dropped into the 1500-foot scree gully that takes you 
down to the beautiful meadows of upper Return Canyon. On the 
way down the gully, we admired the multicolored rock -- gray, 
red, white, brown -- and the fantastic cliffs and rock towers on 
the right-hand gully wall. It's hard to believe that rock so 
shattered and broken can form cliffs that are vertical and even 

We got back to camp at 1:30, packed up, and hiked out as the 
sky clouded up and dropped a few raindrops on us, just like the 
day before. We got back to the cars at 5:30 and home by 
midnight -- another PCS weekend packed with fun climbing and 
alpine beauty. 

- Jim Ramaker

William_some and Tynd_notall

To celebrate the solstice (21/22/23 June), 6 people of the PCS, 
Nancy Fitzsimmons, Bill Kirkpatrick, Dave Wright, Jim 
Ramaker, Phyllis Olrich (leader), and me (Arun Mahajan) 
attempted Williamson and Tyndall.

The group met at the Pines Cafe in the swank downtown of the 
bustling super-polis of Independence. The weather report boded well 
for the entire weekend. We began at 9 am at the Shepherd's Pass 
trailhead. The four stream crossings provided no entertainment since 
everybody crossed in fine style. The switchbacks were relentless till 
we reached the top of a ridge from where we get the first 
breathtaking view of Williamson. To quote Tennyson completely out 
of context,

        "Close to the sun in lonely lands,
        Ringed with the azure world he stands,
        The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls,
        As he watches from his mountain walls".

These would be our words to describe Williamson too, if we 
could conjure that kind of poetic imagery! The trail dropped 
*down* now up to a point where the descending waters from a 
waterfall cross it, and we had lunch there. Then the trail winded 
up past the Mahogany flats (a flat area with some mahogany 
nearby...!). Soon after that, we were at Anvil Camp. There we 
ran into some people from another PCS trip that was led by 
Tony Cruz. Another bit of uphill on patchy snow and trail got us 
to the bottom of the final chute leading to the pass. There was 
ample snow and the chute looked like it did not get a lot of sun, 
but still it wasn't hard enough for crampons and we managed to 
get up to the top of the pass using axes. It was six pm then. It 
had taken 9 hrs to get there. One person from our party had 
elected to stay at Anvil. The five of us camped near the frozen 
lake along with three people from the other PCS party. It got 
into the 20's that night but it wasn't very windy.

The next day we had a semi-alpine, start at 6.30 am. Bill and Dave 
chose to do Tyndall, while Phyllis, Jim, and I were joined by Martina 
Faller and Keith Barnes from the other PCS party for our attempt on 
Williamson. To say that finding the route was a little confusing 
would be an understatement. But by constantly checking the topos, 
and being expertly guided by Phyllis and Jim, we made good 
progress and stayed on the ridge between two lakes before dropping 
down. The 'black stains' mentioned in the guide books were visible, 
though we initially thought that they were caused by the water that 
was coming down from above.

It seemed that we were constantly going up and down, but 
eventually we made it to the black stains at 8:30. It had taken us 
two hrs to get there. We headed up the stains. The route to the 
top is mostly visible. We switchbacked up the loose boulder and 
talus fields. We hit 2 patches of snow, on the first one we just 
kicked steps, but on the second one we needed crampons. That 
brought us to the base of the 60 ft class-3 section. We found the 
chockstone described in Secor and climbed past it up the 
chimney by stemming with our backs, and that brought us to the 
summit plateau. The whoops of joy all around indicated that 
there was a consensus that it was one helluva view. Further 
scrambling on huge boulders (to avoid the sloping snow fields) 
brought us to the actual summit.

We had lunch, and took the usual goofy summit photos. It was 
warm, with no winds, clear skies, and great views. In the words 
of a famous cynic, "lets face it, too much beauty is boring". So 
after being bored to death by excessive beauty for an hour and 
half, we headed down, gingerly making our way through the 
chute and the now-soft snow patches. Phyllis and Jim were 
considering Tyndall in the same day, but later gave up on the 
idea. We were back to the Shepherd's Pass camp at five -- it had 
been a 10 1/2 hr day. Phyllis and Jim wanted to do Tyndall the 
next day and stayed at Shepherd's Pass while Martina, Keith and 
I packed up and headed back to Anvil. It took us 1 hr and 10 
mins to get back. Bill and Dave were back at Anvil after 
attempting Tyndall, and just as it got dark, Nancy returned from 
summiting on Tyndall with Dennis Hiipakka. All of them 
reported that Tyndall was not a kinder, gentler mountain than 
Williamson and that they too had a hard climb.

After a restful night at Anvil, we hiked out at 7:40 AM. on 
Sunday morning and were back at the cars just before noon (four 
hrs only!). Again, I am afraid to say, the stream crossings 
provided no entertainment as nobody choose to fall in.

Phyllis says that she and Jim also headed down the same morning 
from Shepherd's Pass without doing Tyndall and they got back to the 
cars at 1:30 PM. The prospect of doing Tyndall, hiking out, and then 
doing the long drive home was too daunting, and they figured they 
would have reached the Bay area at 4 AM. 

-     Arun Mahajan

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Not all those who wander are lost.  +
+  - J R R Tolkien                    +
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Notes and Requests

*** McKinley Partners Wanted

I am planning to return to Denali Spring of `97 to attempt either 
the West Buttress (Normal) route or the West Rib. This trip is 
for those experienced in: high altitude climbing (19,000 ft and 
above), crevasse rescue, glacier travel, expedition experience, 
long periods spent without TV, very cold weather, and a desire 
to eat lots of freeze dried food.

Candidates must be very fit, able to travel in poor weather up to 
10 miles / day, carry and drag 120 lbs + loads, and preferably 
know how to ski as I would like to use rondene' gear again. 
Estimated cost is $600 air; $200 peak fee; $250 air taxi; $500 - 
$1000 equipment, food, etc. Sorry, no want-to-bes, these are 
requirements. Call: 408-970-0760.

- Tim Hult 

*** Half Pound of What?

Had a surprising revelation this past week. My backpack had a 
minor stitching failure and when I started looking at the situation, I 
realized my pack was too filthy to work on. So I washed it (by hand). 
Always been curious about how much weight my equipment gains 
over the years from dirt and sweat. I know for a fact that my 
backpacking tent has gained weight over the years. I weighed my 
pack prior to washing and then after. I'm astonished! There was an 8 
once difference. That's 1/2 pound of yuck.

- Mark Adrian 

*** Aconcagua Climbing Assistance

Climb Aconcagua - 6959 M - (22,834) Argentina (offered from 
December 1st to March 15th.) The following services are 
provided for $325.00 U.S:
 - Hotel Argentino in Mendoza one night.
 - Three liters of fuel for white gas stove - per person.
 - Transportation on private bus to hotel in Los Penitentes.
 - Hotel Ayelen in Los Penitentes with dinner and breakfast, 
   one night, and non-climbing baggage storage for duration of 
   the climb.
 - Deliver climber and gear to trailhead. Mule service up to 
   Plaza de Mulas and return. Baggage storage in Plaza de 
   Mulas for excess gear and food, during summit attempt - a 
   good safety factor.
 - Return climber and gear to Hotel Ayelen with dinner and 
   breakfast, one night. Help customers to get bus or collectivo 
   at their own expense to Santiago or Mendoza.
For more information: FAX 415-493-8975 Phone 415-493-8959

- Warren Storkman 

*** MacGPS ?

>From rec.outdoors.marketplace: Free software for transferring 
data between a Garmin GPS receiver and a Macintosh computer 
is available at  the URL  http://www.csn.net/~lwjames

- Dr. Lawrence W. James 

*** Base Jumper Dies On El Cap

>From rec.climbing: I just read in the SD Union Trib a short 
blurb that an Arizona man named Jeff Christman (age 42) died 
while illegally base jumping off El Cap yesterday. The Yosemite 
spokesman said that they thought his parachute was loaded 
backwards and when it deployed it spun him around and he hit 
the wall. He also mentioned that he narrowly missed two 
climbers bivying on a ledge. Yikes! That would put one hell of a 
scare into you in the morning!

- Andrew Gale 

*** Roped Accident on Shasta

You may or may not have read the Mercury article about the accident 
on Mount Shasta. I thought it was quite interesting. The Forest 
Service ranger mentioned, Dan Towner, is the only ranger who 
recognizes me on sight. I have had to push to my limit to stay ahead 
of him a couple of years on Shasta. [San Jose Mercury News 
Wednesday, October 2, 1996: Trio survive Shasta plunge, climbers 
battered but alive after harrowing 500-foot fall, etc.]

- Bob Gross <75013.1420@CompuServe.COM>

Editor's note: While I think the text included with this email would 
be useful to the readers, the Scree cannot run copyrighted material 
without the owner's permission. Readers may want to check the SJ 
Mercury on the date noted above for the full text of the article. 
Contributors should check with their online news sources before 
sending material to anyone, whether or not it is for publication, 
because most providers will take action if provoked.

*** The Passing Of Friends

In conversation with the author last June, I obtained permission to 
use the lines below. In the light of the recent media treatment of the 
Everest tragedies, and recent Sierra fatalities, this passage articulates 
some of the ever-present reality of our years in the mountains.

- John Baltierra 

"...it is not just the maturing of years; it is the passing of friends, 
most of whom were killed in the mountains. When one is young 
and has been climbing only a few years, one's experience is 
limited and death is abstract. After having been around a while, 
things are different. Mountains are still magnificent and 
mountaineering is worthwhile, but there is an overtone of what 
is at risk that one cannot completely forget."

- Nicholas Clinch, in Preface of his book,  'A Walk in the 
Sky.' The Mountaineers,  Seattle, Wash. 1982.

*** Adventures with Electricity Series

I am seeking  new stories from list members on "Adventures 
with Electricity" (or other interesting encounters with awesome 
weather phenomena in the mountains). The idea is for you to 
send me a concise paragraph or two of your experiences. I'll 
assemble them and prepare them for Scree--this is an easy way 
to share the labor of creating entertaining articles . Anyone care 
to resurrect the old PCS story about smoking underwear 
(induced by static electricity, as I recall)?

- Butch Suits 

>From Sea to Shining Summit

I've been looking up at Marcus Baker from the highway on and 
off for over 20 years. When in high school, I even bought the 
topo maps and tried to plan an expedition. We figured it would 
take about two weeks to traverse the broken ice fields, and then 
we were not sure what the climbing conditions would be like on 
the main mountain.

In July 1996, I was back in Anchorage (Alaska) for a high school 
reunion and decided to take another look at Marcus Baker (the 
high point of the Chugach Range). This time I had the money to 
hire a guide, however, which changed the trip dramatically! I did 
not have to pack food/tent/rope/etc, and the guide knew a pilot 
who could fly us over the ice fields onto an 8000' snowfield at 
the base of the summit ridge. Two of us each paid the guide 
about $600 and the pilot about $300, so this was not a low-
budget trip. On the other hand, the guide's knowledge of snow 
conditions and routes was invaluable. There are no guide books 
for the Chugach mountains!

Dave Staeheli runs a one-man guide company out of Wasilla 
called Alpine Guides Alaska: call 907-377-3051 or use a web 
browser to view 
Staeheli had tried this peak before, but had never quite 
summited due to bad weather and/or bad clients (his version of 
the story). Most of his clients must lie to him about their 
physical abilities, because he figured that climbing from 8000' to 
just over 13000' would require a five day trip! He scoffed at me 
when I said that even climbing in snowshoes, my estimate was 
more like three days plus weather layovers, if any... so we 
compromised on a four day trip.

The first day we had to wait in line at the air taxi hanger, 
because a large group of Japanese tourists had shown up 
unexpectedly, and it is obvious that half-hour sightseeing tours 
bring in more money than lugging climbing gear up 8000' and 
landing on a snowfield! We finally set down at our target site 
long after noon, roped up, loaded the sleds with half our gear, 
and watched the clouds build while we had lunch. The hike to 
high camp took 5 hours (not 2 days as Dave had estimated) and 
we started setting the tent up around 8pm in wind and light 

In July, in southcentral Alaska, the sun sets around 10pm and rises 
again around 2am - and it's so close to the horizon that you don't need 
a flashlight even at midnight. There is, therefore, no reason at all to 
get up early in the morning or go to bed early at night!

The snow at high camp was fluffy enough to cut blocks with a 
large snow shovel, which we stacked up as a wind break for the 
tent. All night the snow piled up on the tent until the wind 
knocked it off in slabs. We were not optimistic about summiting, 
but by the end of breakfast (9am) the sky was clear and the wind 
had died down!

Our route along the ridge proved fairly easy except for two 
sections that required front-pointing on ice, and several hidden 
cracks loosely drifted over with soft snow. We used belays in 
several places, but I did not feel that we really needed them. 
(Guides must be overly cautious, or they never get very old - 
Staeheli's partner was afraid of walking on cornices, but died 
while walking UNDER one.) At the base of the summit mass, 
however, we found ourselves knee-deep in snow that balled up 
on our crampons. Under this was a layer of ice in places, all at 
angles that measured over 40 degrees in places.

As we climbed, salt-water fjords came into view. I have never 
been at altitude, on ice, looking down at continuous slopes into 
an ocean! The weather was holding, but as we neared the 
summit we lost sight of Denali (formerly McKinley) behind 
distant clouds. From the top, however, we picked up views of 
Blackburn, Sanford, and Mt Saint Elias - which means that from 
the top of Marcus Baker you can see every really high peak in 
the state... and it's a BIG state, too.

Great visibility kept us on the summit for around half an hour, 
but the wind and the mid-afternoon hour finally convinced us to 
leave. The walk back to camp was mostly uneventful, except 
when we found an old rappel anchor (two poorly-installed 
pickets) near one of the pitches we had front-pointed with 
crampons. Oh, yes, there was that one last crack we had to cross 
within sight of the tent...

That crack (not really a bergschrund) had a four-foot-thick snow 
bridge which had held our weight in the morning. While testing 
in on the way down, I felt it give. I yelled something 
unintelligible (certainly not "falling", as I should have) and 
began scrambling to stay on top of the moving blocks. This was 
the softest styrofoam snow I have ever been on (or in), and 
everything was moving in slow motion. Each block that I tried to 
step on cracked in half and went further down the crack. I 
wound up half-supported by the rope and half resting on snow, 
and was able to climb out without a rescue. My partner was in a 
self arrest holding the rope, while the guide was flitting about 
nervously watching the whole affair. He still insists he's never 
had a client fall into a crevasse, but now I understand that his 
record is attainable only by carefully defining everything as 
NOT a crevasse.

The next day we started hiking down the glacier somewhere 
around noon (why rush?), wondering if the pilot would be in the 
area with a sightseeing group. Otherwise we had 24 hours to sit 
and wait with nothing to do. The weather was questionable, and 
we heard no engines, so the evening was spent napping and 
pondering imponderables (such as the nature of religion and 
what to have for dinner).

The next morning the guide and I took off for a nearby bump to 
get a view of the Radcliffe and Harvard glaciers. The climbing 
was more exciting than the day before due to knife-edge ridges 
with horizontal cracks and apparent cornices above eroding rock 
slopes. The summit bump has 1100' cliffs on 3 sides, and 
qualifies as a first ascent under Alaska's "it's a peak if it's 1000' 
down on every side" rule. We're looking into registering a name 
with the Mountaineering Club of Alaska, who keeps the official 
log of first ascents. If possible, it will be called Rose-Hulman 
Peak (after my alma mater) in keeping with the other college-
related names of the area.

After a couple of hours in camp, and 30 minutes in the plane, we 
were back at sea level again. This trip convinced me that there is 
no need to leave our country for truly high-altitude 
mountaineering. This far north the 13k peaks have snow 
conditions that might not be found below 22k in other places, 
but you can eat the food and drink the water when you get back 
to town! 

- Steve Eckert


Mt. Carillon, Mt. Russell, 28-29 September 1996: At 8am on 
Saturday, 28 September, climbers David and Elaine Baldwin, Jack 
Wickel, Steve Blackmon, and John Blanch gathered at the Whitney 
Portal trailhead for an assault on Mt. Russell, a mountain described 
by R.J. Secor as "the finest peak in the Mt. Whitney region". Setting 
off at a moderately brisk pace, we shortly reached the North Fork of 
Lone Pine Creek (the second stream crossing in a normal year) and 
the start of the North Fork use trail.

After a brief stop at the packet distribution box for the "North Fork 
Pack-Out-Your-Poop Project" we proceeded up the well defined trail 
to the start of the Ebersbacher ledges which we identified with the 
aid of a photograph from "California's Fourteeners". Exercising due 
caution, we traversed the ledges without incident and continued up 
the trail to Lower Boy Scout Lake and the talus field beyond. Using a 
combination of paths through the boulders, we proceeded up the 
south side of the drainage until it was possible to pass through the 
low bushes to the slabs adjacent to the creek which we followed to 
Upper Boy Scout Lake.

After establishing our camp near the northeast shore of the lake, 
there was some discussion of an attempt on Thor Peak, but the 
thin air, the exertion of the morning, and the warmth of the sun 
invited most of us to simply relax and acclimate for the 
following day. I later took a short hike up the north slope of 
Thor to get a better look at our route on Russell. After climbing 
a scree slope to the southeast of the outlet of lake 11,560, I 
reached an area of high angle slabs which I surmounted via a 
short class 3 chimney to the east. At the top of the chimney, I 
was tempted to break my promise to return in an hour and 
ascend the class 2-3 terrain to the summit of Thor, but contented 
myself with a grand view of the east edifice of the Whitney 
group before descending to camp. Due to the proximity of 
Pinnacle Ridge, the sun set at our campsite before 5pm but was 
replaced around 10pm by a brilliant, near-full moon which 
bathed the terrain in a ghostly white light.

The moon was still bright when we rose at 5:30am Sunday for 
the main event. After the usual preparation, we were all 
underway by 6:45, trudging up the seemingly endless scree slope 
northeast of the outlet of Upper Boy Scout Lake. After two 
hours, we were glad to reach the Russell-Carillon saddle and get 
our first look at the East Ridge route on Russell. Steve roused us 
from a short snack break with a cry of "Let's climb this 
mountain!", and we were off up the talus. We stayed to the north 
side of the ridge for most of the route, venturing occasionally 
onto the crest, but never to the south side, following ledges and 
cracks with occasional stretches of scree and small patches of 
new snow. Most of the route was ducked, as if one could get off 
of a route with a margin of error seldom exceeding a few feet. 
About an hour of climbing put us on the registered west summit, 
which of course looked a few inches lower than the east.

After enjoying the fantastic views under the cloudless sky and 
snapping a few photos, we retraced our steps to the Russell-
Carillon saddle where Steve and John bolted for home while the 
rest of the party paused for a snack before launching a 12-minute 
ascent of Carillon. At the summit we had our best view of the 
north face of Russell and the fantastically exposed east ridge 
route best described by Jack as "gnarly". Unfortunately we had 
to leave the Carillon register unsigned for lack of a pencil. 
Leaving the summit, we returned to the saddle for our packs and 
then enjoyed the scree slide to camp considerably more than the 
trudge of the morning. After packing up, we returned to Whitney 
Portal, then filled up on barbecue at Smoke Signals in Lone Pine 
before the long drive back to LA.

My thanks go to everyone in the group for a successful weekend enhanced 
by great weather, and especially to Jack for filling a vacancy at the last 
minute and for leading the way up Russell's east ridge.

- David Baldwin


The first snow of autumn crusted Tuolomne Meadows as we set 
out for Vogelsang Peak. Though PCS groups often do this 18 
mile, 2900 foot trek as a weekend backpack, we tried it as a day 
hike. A superbly maintained trail took us from our campground 
up to our lunch spot at Vogelsang Lake. Some straightforward 
class 2 hiking took us from the lake to the summit in about an 
hour. The peak commands a huge area, and the views were 
stunning. The Cathedral Range, the Merced Basin, and the 
Clark Range laid before us, and in the distant north we could see 
as far as the Sawtooth Range.

David Wright, Dee Booth, Robin Ross, John Cordes, David Lou, 
Scott Kreider, Marilyn Hurley, Bob Bynum, Nancy 
Fitzsimmons, Brian Xyzzy, and I made the ascent. Trip 
organizer Cecil Magliocco missed the summit because she went 
back home with a sore throat. A few others who camped with us 
skipped the hike.

Back in camp Saturday evening we celebrated David Lou's 
fiftieth birthday. I'd say Vogelsang Peak was a pretty impressive 
accomplishment for such an old dude.

Sunday, September 15, a smaller group set out for Mount Gibbs, 
but by the time we reached Mono Pass, we decided that the 
strong winds would make us miserable up on that barren ridge, 
so we declared the weekend a success and went home. 

- Aaron Schuman

Although Cecil Magliocco didn't go on the hike on Saturday, she 
and several others went on a little geology field trip. Cecil, her 
two children Joseph and Johanna, their friend Tammy, and 
Gretchen Luepke took a trip to Mono Lake. Gretchen, a 
geologist with the U. S. Geological Survey since 1967, gave a 
professional perspective.

They visited Pantum Crater, the South Tufa Towers, had a 
picnic lunch in a county park near the North Tufa Towers, and 
visited the new Mono Lake interpretive center. The interpretive 
center features a short movie on the history and geology of Mono 
Lake and has many displays on wildlife and geology in the area. 
It is located on Highway 395 a few miles north of Lee Vining 
and is well worth a visit.

This car camp was a success for the non peak climbers because 
they had some interesting nature related activities that they 
could do. 

- Bob Bynum


Scree is the monthly journal of the Peak Climbing 
Section of the Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter.

Elected Officials

	Charles Schafer / charles.schafer@octel.com
	408-354-1545 home, 408-324-6003 work
	115 Spring Street, Los Gatos CA 95032-6229

Vice Chair and Trip Scheduler:
	Roger Crawley 
	415-321-8602 home
	761 Nash Avenue, Menlo Park CA 94025-2719

Treasurer and Membership Roster (address changes):
	Jim Ramaker / ramaker@vnet.ibm.com
	408-224-8553 home, 408-463-4873 work,
	188 Sunwood Meadows Place, San Jose CA 95119-1350

Appointed Positions

Scree Editor, Email Broadcast Operator:
	Steve Eckert / eckert@netcom.com
	415-508-0500 home/work, 415-508-0501 fax
	1814 Oak Knoll Drive, Belmont, CA 94002-1753

PCS World Wide Web Publisher:
	Aaron Schuman / schuman@sgi.com
	415-933-1901, http://reality.sgi.com/csp/pcs/index.html
	223 Horizon Avenue, Mountain View CA 94043-4718

Hardcopy subscriptions are $10/year, plus a requested donation of $2/year
to cover operating expenses. Subscription applications and checks payable
to "PCS" should be mailed to the Treasurer so they arrive before the last
Tuesday of the expiration month.
If you are on the PCS email broadcast, you have a free EScree subscription.
For broadcast info, send Email to  with the
one-line message "INFO lomap-peak-climbing". EScree subscribers should send
a subscription form to the Treasurer to become voting PCS members at no
charge, and are encouraged to donate $2/year to the PCS.

Rock Climbing Classifications

The following trip classifications are to assist you in choosing 
trips for which you are qualified. No simple rating system can 
anticipate all possible conditions.
	Class 1: Walking on a trail.
	Class 2: Walking cross-country, using hands for balance.
	Class 3: Requires use of hands for climbing. A rope may be used.
	Class 4: Requires rope belays.
	Class 5: Technical rock climbing.

In Upcoming Issues:
(if you sent something that is not here, please send it again)
	Foreign Reports: Ojos del Salado, Aconcagua, Mont Blanc
	Distant Reports: Elbert, Ranier, Colorado Solos
	Trip Reports: Onion Valley, Deerhorn
	Special Features: Hot Springs list, Shocking Kids story

Deadline for submissions to the next Scree is Sunday 11/24/96.
Meetings are the second Tuesday of each month.
This publication may not be posted on any public news group.

"Vy can't ve chust climb?" - John Salathe
(end of November 1996 Escree)